Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Animal Kingdom: Don't Feed the Yeti

When you think of Walt Disney World, you probably think of the Magic Kingdom.   The image that probably pops into your mind is that beautiful blue and white castle, in all its glory, twinkling in the Florida sunshine.  I imagine you probably think about spinning in tea cups and soaring through the sky on the back of a flying elephant or, better yet, inside the confines of a pirate ship over Neverland.  In fact, I would be right there with you, because the Magic Kingdom is my favorite, as well.  My eight year old daughter Katie, however, considers Animal Kingdom to be the best Disney World theme park.  She loves everything everything about Animal Kingdom.  She dreams of becoming a veterinarian someday, and for her, Animal Kingdom is a paradise.

Kilimanjaro Safaris

Katie would like to take care of giraffes someday, and Kilimanjaro Safaris is one of Katie's favorite rides because she can see the giraffes up close, yet they are in a habitat far more natural for them than our local zoo.  The safari ride is a totally unique and intense experience, because you get to drive out and see the animals without the traditional trappings of a regular zoo.  This ride is different each time you ride it, and the animals always put on a great show.  There are also some exciting surprises along the way that I won't spoil for you.   This ride is a must-see, as far as our family is concerned.   My only problem has always been that I can't seem to take a decent picture while on this ride.  There are all of those amazing animals to photograph, but I can't seem to take a clear picture.  It must be all of those bumps in the road.

Expedition Everest

Another of my own all-time favorite rides is also located deep within Animal Kingdom:   Expedition Everest.  If you haven't yet braved the mountain and faced the formidable yeti, you should book your trip to Florida immediately.  Disney Imagineers hit a home-run with the theming on Everest.  Everywhere you look you see artifacts that convince you that you are in Nepal.  When you board the roller coaster train that will take you on your wild journey up (and back down) the majestic Mt. Everest, you can't help but feel a little nervous, and with good reason:  somewhere on this journey you will encounter the yeti.   (How I wish I could be strapping myself into that train right now.  I'd love to be swooping around those curves and down those hills right about now, far away from my keyboard.  *sigh*)   I am a roller coaster addict (a topic worthy of a whole different blog), but I have to say that Expedition Everest is the most surprising roller coaster I have experienced.    You really have to try it.

Just take my advice:  don't feed the yeti.

No comments:

Post a Comment